[modeleng] Re: New boiler test rules

  • From: Mike Leahy <heisler9-modeleng2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:18:19 +0000

Hi all
As the representative of the Southern Federation on the Test Code Committee
please allow me to correct a number of errors that have crept into this
topic

CharlesBrumbelow  wrote :

> Please explain for this Yank what a steam test is, Alan.  Thanks, Charles

Please allow me to quote from the new Test Code:

10    Steam Test

10.1    An examination under steam pressure shall be undertaken, a) before
first placing the boiler into service, b) after every hydraulic test, and c)
at intervals not exceeding fourteen months.

10.2    The boiler shall be steamed and further examinations carried out as
pressure is rising and whilst the boiler is at working pressure.

10.3    Correct operation of the following items shall be verified:
?     Boiler water feeding arrangements by at least two independent means
(hand pump, injectors, mechanical pump, etc.)
?     Pressure gauge
?     The water gauge(s) should be blown down and the water should be seen
to recover to its level without delay

10.4    The boiler shall then be steamed at maximum firing rate and with
full blower operation. The test shall be continued for sufficient time as to
allow the Inspector to be satisfied that stable conditions have been
attained. The operation of the safety valves shall be checked to ensure that
they operate at working pressure and that pressure does not rise by more
than 10% of the working pressure during safety valve operation

Alan Stepbney wrote:

>Any boiler inspector testing boilers in the range 55
>to 1100 bar litres must be named and notified to the
>Federations insurers.

The correct figures are 500 -1100 bar litres which are pretty big boilers
eg. a locomotive larger than a 7 1/4" gauge Tinkerbell, a half size
Showman's traction engine (non compounded) and a 4" scale compound traction
engine operating at approx 175psi. Obviously, your magazine editor's finger
slipped when typing in the article.

Dave Beaman wrote:

>The safety valves will blow at the maximum boiler pressure nominated on the
>certificate. This will be monitored with a very bright fire, blower full on,
>and firebox sufficiently full to maintain maximum steam generation. The
>safety valves will continue to blow and the boiler pressure will not exceed
>10% of the blowing off/maximum pressure. This will be maintained for two
>minutes and be witnessed by an independent person.

There is no time limit on this test. The inspector must satisfy himself that
the 10% limit is not exceeded and he can continue this test as long as it
needs to satisfy himself - 'sufficient time' being the operative words.

As far as 'putting water into the boiler by two independent means' is
concerned  two injectors count as two independent means of supplying water
to the boiler. However, both injectors must work over a reasonable range of
boiler pressure.

Anyone in the UK can obtain a copy of the new Test Code via their club from
any of the administrative organisations (SFed, Northern Assoc, Midlands Fed,
7 1/4" Gauge Soc)

Copies will also be on sale on the Federation's stand at the forthcoming
Alexandra Palace exhibition (price 40p).

Mike Leahy
South Ockendon, UK