[modeleng] Re: New boiler test rules

  • From: Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:36:02 +0000

Hi Mike,
    Thanks very much for your input on the new regulations.

    With regard to the subject of cladding,  I am interested to learn
that the cladding only needs to be removed every ten years on steel
boilers.   I think the clause that had us thinking that it applied to
copper boilers as well,  is 7.1.   This says:

    Periodic re-test/examination of COPPER boilers of any capacity and
STEEL boilers not exceeding 500 bar-litres may be carried out with the
boiler mounted and clad for as long as the inspector considers he can
properly test and examine it.   Where this is not the case the inspector
may require the boiler to be dismounted and the cladding removed,
although this would not normally be necessary at less than 10-year
intervals.

    This suggested to us that the cladding on a copper boiler would
normally have to be removed at least every ten years.   We would be
happy to accept that it means that this is only necessary if the
inspector considers he cannot properly examine the boiler without the
cladding removed.

    The membership of our club were very relieved to learn that the
requirements in the new regulations were no more stringent than those
now published.   they all appreciate this as being a sensible approach
to assuring,  as far as is reasonable,  safety when boilers and the
public come into close contact with one another.

    Thanks for all the work you have done on our behalf.

       Cheers,

          Roger Mason,  in wet and windy St. Agnes.