[modeleng] Re: New boiler test rules

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:20:09 -0000

A steam test for any steam loco is an essential part of the boiler
certificate. It will prove the boiler and firebox are steam tight under full
working pressure. Next, the gauge glasses are proven to be working
correctly, ie, blown down and the water recovers at a sharp rate. The safety
valves will blow at the maximum boiler pressure nominated on the
certificate. This will be monitored with a very bright fire, blower full on,
and firebox sufficiently full to maintain maximum steam generation. The
safety valves will continue to blow and the boiler pressure will not exceed
10% of the blowing off/maximum pressure. This will be maintained for two
minutes and be witnessed by an independent person.
This is the same sort of thing for the full size as well, but working with
riveted, plated 1920s design boilers, they still go through the same
mill..... Perhaps I should try and build a....NOOOOOOO

Dave.

From: "Alan Stepney" <alesara2@xxxxxxxxx>