[modeleng] New boiler test rules

  • From: Alan Stepney <alesara2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:00:41 +0000 (GMT)

According to my club:

The Southern Federation, working with all the other
national organisations, has agreed a new boiler
testing code which will operate from 1 January 2006.

Old style boiler test certificate will remain valid
until due for renewal.

Under the new scheme, each boiler with one of the new
hydraulic test certificates will require an annual
examination and steam test. Unless a boiler has both a
valid Hydraulic Test Certificate and a valid Steam
Test Certificate it may not be used. The annual steam
test is valid for a period not exceeding 14 months.

When a boiler comes into the new scheme a record of
all tests should be entered on the new record card.
The very first entry on the card should detail the
initial boiler test the boiler historically received
(if known) so that the age of the boiler can be
recorded. All certificates and records need to be
retained, including the old style issue, and must be
passed to the new owner should the boiler or model
change hands..
Copper boilers need an hydraulic test every FOUR
years. New steel boilers need a test after FOUR years
and every TWO years thereafter.

Steel boilers in service prior to Jan 1 2006, should
be tested at intervals of TWO years. However, a boiler
inspector has the right to issue  a certificate for a
lesser period should he consider it appropriate.

Any boiler inspector testing boilers in the range 55
to 1100 bar litres must be named and notified to the
Federations insurers.

The Southern Federation intends to set up a boiler
register and the results of each test (pass or fail)
will have to be notified to them.

In many ways there doesnt seem to be much difference.

I can see some pssible problems with some of my
boilers, as several have never had a test (apart from
the ones I give them), and are, in some cases, many
years old.
However, as they are never run in public, it will only
affect me if I sell the models concerned.

Alan