[modeleng] Re: New boiler test rules

  • From: Mike Leahy <heisler9-modeleng2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:55:30 +0000

Hi Cliff

Clif Walker  wrote on 14/1/06 5:09 pm:

> Hi All,
>
> Where did the boiler test every 14 months creep in?
> My boiler inspector having read the new rules told me that it was still two
> years.

You will see that my note refers to the 'annual' steam test.

For the hydraulic tests the periods are as follows:

11.5    The certificate of hydraulic test shall be valid for a period not
exceeding:

COPPER boilers:    FOUR (4) years from the date of test.

STEEL boilers:     FOUR (4) years from the date of the initial test of a new
boiler, with subsequent tests at intervals of TWO (2) years.

    Steel boilers in service prior to 1st January 2006 shall be subjected to
being tested at intervals of TWO (2) years.

    Note:
    Inspectors may, at their discretion, issue a certificate of hydraulic
test with a shorter validity period where the inspector considers that the
above periods are inappropriate to the age and/or condition of the boiler.

    Certificates are not valid for safe operation until both the hydraulic
and steam tests have been undertaken.

    Any structural alteration or repair shall invalidate any current
certificate and necessitate a re-test.

You may wonder why the annual steam test can be undertaken every 14 months.
This is to allow for a little flexibility in the system as is based on full
size practice. Why 14 months? Well Easter is a movable feast and the
extended period is to cope with holidays that were historically found in
industry about this time.

Note however that the annual steam test certificate cannot have an expiry
date beyond the expiry date of the hydraulic test certificate. Ie that is
you can't keep going out to the 14 months and in effect lose a test every
six years.

Mike Leahy
South Ockendon, UK