[macvoiceover] Re: iPhone dictation limit

  • From: Ricardo Walker <rwalker296@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 18:30:48 -0400

Hi David,

I think the difference might be small, but significant.  I can't prove this of
course, but I think the draw for many people to use Siri over the actual
dictation feature might be stronger.  Essentially, dictation is just one part
of what many do with Siri.  Not just long messages but, incredibly long
questions and commands.  I think this is what Apple might be trying to cut down
on not necessarily messages that might cost the end user on their phone bill.
Again, Apple is so hands off when it comes to carriers compared to other OEMs,
I honestly can't see them caring.  I mean, did they not make FaceTime available
over 3G?  There didn't seem to be much hesitation on their part to implement
this although, you would figure some people might go over their monthly data
cap if used a lot.

But yet, shorter query via Siri, would sure make Apples lives a bit easier.
There are roughly 100 million devices out there with Siri.  If you can cut the
load on the servers just by 10 or 15%, this would be very beneficial to Apple.
I just can't see Apple inconveniencing their users for the sake of carriers
when they've never done so before.

JMO.

Ricardo Walker
ricardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx