Re: LuaJIT project governance

  • From: Luke Gorrie <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:32:58 +0200

On 18 August 2015 at 09:58, John Graham-Cumming <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

wrote:

As part of that we've set up a LuaJIT organization on Github and moved the
source code of LuaJIT over there.

Great!

Since we're moving away from having a single person in charge of the
project to a more distributed model we need to think about how to structure
it.

Here is how I would like to contribute to LuaJIT maintenance:

- Maintain a LuaJIT branch containing all changes that we want to use in
Snabb Switch.

- Merge the latest upstream changes into our branch at the start of each
month for testing (both manually and under our CI) and report regressions.

- Submit bug reports and feature ideas as Issues to the upstream repository.

- Submit improvements as isolated Pull Requests to the upstream repository
and respond to reviewer comments. (I see publishing and review as valuable
independent of whether they are merged onto a blessed branch.)

- Merge other people's Pull Requests directly into the Snabb Switch branch
for testing and feedback -- for changes that look promising for our needs
and that I feel qualified to review. (Currently my focus is on profiling
tools -- I am not a compiler expert.)

People would also be welcome to merge the Snabb Switch branch wholesale
into their own branches if they want to do that.

Sound reasonable?

Currently I am already doing essentially this. I pull Mike's v2.1 branch
every month so that we can test that in Snabb Switch and report
regressions. I am also submitting Issues and Pull Requests to Github but
currently on the SnabbCo/luajit repo:
https://github.com/SnabbCo/luajit/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=

Incidentally for Snabb Switch we have a distributed Git/Github workflow
that may be interesting for reference.

This is documented here:
https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch/blob/master/src/doc/git-workflow.md

and relatedly we have a list of registered branches that are mirrored onto
the main repository (but not necessarily merged onto master):
https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch/blob/master/src/doc/branches.md

That is essentially an attempt to port the Linux kernel distributed
workflow onto Github. We have only adopted this fairly recently and are
still "growing into" it.

Cheers,
-Luke