Re: LuaJIT project governance

  • From: Bruno Cabral <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 09:37:15 -0300

Hello John,

You have no idea how happy I and many developers worldwide are with
Cloudflare for picking up such important project. Thank you !

However, I got worried by the tone on your last email. What are the
plans ? Cloudflare is active looking for hiring some full time
maintainers or it will only help with the transition/infrastructure ?

I truly respect the Open Source community, but Mike Pall is clearly an
outlier. Relying on occasional open-source contributors seems like a
direct path to abandonware.

My impression is that LuaJit is too perfect/complex to the GitHub
collaborative model work, where developers uses the software, identify
a bug/missing feature for his use case, dig in code for a day/week,
and do a push. In Luajit the stakes are much higher, and a small
change can have big repercussions.

There also huge features that Luajit needs to stay competitive, such
as GC improvements.
It seems impossible without a fulltime very smart developer.

Thank you so much for taking care of this very loved project,

Bruno