LuaJIT project governance

  • From: "John Graham-Cumming" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 08:58:21 +0100

Folks,

Mike has kindly asked CloudFlare to help transition LuaJIT away from him to
a larger team of maintainers. We're not leading the project but we are
helping to transition to a new structure. As Mike has previously written
we'd like to make the transition happen over the next one to two months.
During that period Mike plans to get LuaJIT 2.1 into beta and cut the first
2.1.0 release.

As part of that we've set up a LuaJIT organization on Github and moved the
source code of LuaJIT over there. You can find it here:
https://github.com/luajit

We hope that using Github will encourage people to get involved with the
project.

There are two things that we think are vital to making this process
successful:

1. The test suite

Although we currently have the source code on Github we need the test suite
to be in a very robust state so that LuaJIT itself can evolve... safely. We
think the most important first step is getting the test suite in good
shape. We would like to hear from people who are specifically interested in
working on tests. Mike has said he'll help transition his test suite; who
wants to assist?

2. Deciding on a structure

Since we're moving away from having a single person in charge of the
project to a more distributed model we need to think about how to structure
it. In the past I transitioned an old project (POPFile) from being run by
me to a small team of the most dedicated volunteers. We would appreciate
the thoughts of people in this group on the best way to manage the project.

I think it should be possible for the transition phase to happen during the
next 1 or 2 months.

John.