[lit-ideas] Re: There's no such thing as a free cremation

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:20:34 -0800 (PST)

Not to detract from R.P.'s lucid exposition, here is
some info on Austin's
locutionary-illocutionary-perlocutionary typology. It
is more sophisticated than I thought previously.

http://www.sou.edu/English/Hedges/Sodashop/RCenter/Theory/People/austin.htm

http://www.garretwilson.com/books/reviews/howtodothingswithwords.html

Supposably "Illocutionary Act not part of a cause &
effect chain," i.e. its  force does not depend on the
response of the audience. When I ask a question it is
still a question even if it does not get answered,
when I make a request it is still a request even if it
is not granted etc.

For Eric, I've long since given up on trying to top my
parents, they both have more education and
qualifications than I do. My only remaining chance is
to outlive them, though that too might not be easy.

O.K.

--- Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>
> > Mike: If I tell a joke with the intention of
> making my listener laugh
> > -- and she > does -- how is that less performative
> than
> > "Congratulations"?
>
> > Judging from what Robert wrote, the "jokes" would
> all have to go
> > something like,
> > "Laugh, dammit!" Though perhaps dialect could also
> be used, as in,
> > "Zees iss a choke und you vill now all laugh."
>
> I don't think even that would do it. (I already
> wrote Mike about this
> but I see
> that unlike last time, my note went only to him.)
> The short answer is that if
> telling a joke were a performative it wouldn't
> matter whether anyone
> laughed or
> not anymore than it would make any difference
> whether someone wept upon
> hearing
> (for real) 'I now pronounce you man and wife,' or
> applauded at a ship
> christening. The deed is done as soon as the words
> are said. No need to wait
> around for the effect. The utterance contains its
> own effect, like God.
> (I like
> that conceit so much I'm shamelessly using it
> twice.)
>
> Robert Paul
> Department of Special Effects
> Mutton College

> vacation on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
> www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre