[lit-ideas] Re: There's no such thing as a free cremation

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:58:12 -0800

I've never known what to make of the injunction that we should reverence the dead. Why? Especially if we did not reverence them in life. It's boorish, I agree, not to respect another's grief, but that's in relation to the living, not the dead, and among a group for whom there's no sense of personal loss, where's the offense? But I confess that I sometimes make myself whince when mocking a dead person. Whence this discomfort?

Yo, Poet!

You'd better show some reverence to me when I go to that big philosophy meeting
in the sky. And the MLA would like you not to use 'reverence' as a verb--it
sets their little tiny post-Derridean teeth on edge. (Maybe you've seen the
pictures.) I liked 'whince.' Somewhere between a whine and a wince, I thought.
That's OK; I just wrote to the Terrier list about pulling on a dog's tale. Hope
it's not a long one, they said.

I'll bet the Work is zipping right along. Write when you need a blurb for the
jacket. Or two or three.

Keep whatever faith you've got.

Bob