[lit-ideas] Re: There's no such thing as a free cremation

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:14:35 -0600

EY: I give Mike Geary permission to mock me when I'm dead.

OK: I don't plan to wait that long, Eric...

EY: Hey, Omar, you created a joke. What are you trying to do
... top your parents?

In a serious light, is Omar's reply a performative statement? Do I have to feel mocked for it to be performative, or is it sufficient that Omar feels he mocked me?

Ha! I didn't get Omar's joke until now. I thought he was saying that he wasn't going to wait until he was dead to be mocked -- I couldn't imagine why. I don't mind waiting. Now I see the joke. And it's a lot funnier -- well, maybe not to Eric -- or maybe so. In any event, yes, Eric, in my book Omar's reply is both a performative statement and a joke. Hmmm. Just occurred to me, isn't every joke a performative -- at least the humorously successful ones? If so then Omar's joke would be a double performative. High five, Omar! But as to the last bit of doubt in Eric's mind, I'm not sure whether a performative has to be successful to be classified a performative.

Mike Geary
off to baby-sit
Memphis