[lit-ideas] Re: There's no such thing as a free cremation

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:29:04 -0600

DMcE:
Milton Friedman is dead already.

And Milton Friedman is still dead.  As is Franco.

The thing about free marketeers is that they always seem to be well heeled and positioned at the high end of the market place. I guess if I were in that situation, I'd be a free marketeer too . But "pay the people who keep you alive!" has always been my motto, whereas Friedman has always championed the "pay whatever the market will let you get away with" scheme of things. Labor is the profit margin in every enterprise. Economics may well be more complex than my brain is capable of comprehending, but it's never made much sense to me to pay a bunch of fat assed, privileged, plutocratic, do-nothing motherfuckers -- the economic elite, that is, -- more than you pay the guy who sweeps up the factory floor. "Factory," you say, " what's a factory?" Ah, those were the golden years of America, but I have neither time nor space here to deal with that. I was first impressed with the unimportance of management when I was working in restaurants and the absence due to illness or jail or whatever of a manager had no effect on the operation of the restaurant, but if a dishwasher didn't show up for work there was pandemonium, sheer great panic. a wringing of hands. Friedman should have been there.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>