[lit-ideas] Re: There's no such thing as a free cremation

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:00:49 -0500

Mike: If I tell a joke with the intention of making my listener laugh -- and she does -- how is that less performative than "Congratulations"?

Judging from what Robert wrote, the "jokes" would all have to go something like, "Laugh, dammit!" Though perhaps dialect could also be used, as in, "Zees iss a choke und you vill now all laugh."