[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:16:36 -0700

Our chickens may be of Scottish origin.  How else to explain that this week
they have learned the rudiments of golf?  We put balls into boxes in the
roosting coop, hoping to show the ladies where we'd prefer they lay their eggs.
 After a day or two the chickens began to treat the enclosure like a tee,
knocking balls several feet out.  I'd wander in as they were going to sleep and
find them blathering about lies, fixing their swings, what kind of fade would
keep them safely left of the water.  With practice I believe they may learn to
play off scratch.

Just so you know, among the truths of art or writing is that friends lie, in
the nicest way, about your work.  You may be tempted to fall back on the
verdict of the market, but we know from history that the market is fickle.  So
you say, "we'll wait and see," and you do, and then you're dead.  What remains
of you either swells into a crescendo of enduring fame--face it, this is really
quite unlikely--or causes people to walk away, holding their noses to avoid the
smell--equally unlikely--or is simply ignored.  Pop along to Fate's store;
fact is, it's oblivion fills the shelves.

David Ritchie,
Portland,