[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:23:03 EST

How about his "The Flea" poem?

Julie Kruger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem
Date: 1/29/06 4:29:56 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

David: Ah, thanks --  several mysteries cleared up â a good dayâs work.
The
Major Tom and Lulu  Lloyd stanza was the one I had most difficulty with.
They fit my coherent  whole with difficulty.  And now I see coherence wasnât
something you were  striving for.
Something this morning  made me think of Yeatsâ âLong Legged Flyâ perhaps
an
association, random or not  with your poem:  Here is the Yeats Poem:
Long-Legged  Fly
That civilization may  not sink
Its great battle lost,
Quiet the dog, tether  the pony
To a distant  post.
Our master Caesar is in  the tent
Where the maps are  spread,
His eyes fixed upon  nothing,
A hand under his  head.
Like a long-legged fly  upon the stream
His mind moves upon  silence.
That the topless towers  be burnt
And men recall that  face,
Move most gently if  move you must
In this lonely  place.
She thinks, part woman,  three parts a child,
That nobody looks; her  feet
Practise a tinker  shuffle
Picked up on the  street.
Like a long-legged fly  upon the stream