[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:01:09 -0800

On such a day my computer chooses to act up, swallowing a long post like beer from Erin's yard. How random.

Lulu Lloyd was a real person. All teachers had such nicknames--Beaky Beckwith, Bug Williamson... His joke about the bush telegraph--read "telephone" game in the U.S.--was that a commander sent a message, "Send reinforcements, going to advance," which when passed up the chain of command became, "Send three and fourpence, going to a dance." This was back in the days when pence were d's and not p's.

The rest of the references are meant to make you think of those moments when you stare into space and the memory chest suddenly opens. I could tell you what they all mean to me, but what would be the point? The person being addressed is my number two daughter. People her age use "random" in two ways; one we recognize, and which lays emphasis on composition, and another which means something like, "This is difficult to comprehend." Thus you may hear a student say that Henry James is "really random."

David Savory is the one with the baby. He probably still lives a few streets away from Straker's front porch, where in the photo you see the two of us discussing matters of great import. Straker was in his favorite Yankee Stadium seat, holding forth.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon