[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:53:34 EST

THIS is why I'm subscribed.  On a cold dready dismal Sunday morning  fraught
with impending disaster, I find something that is smart, a bit of  beauty,
that makes me smile.  It's wonderful.  Thank you.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Sunday Poem  Date:
11/14/04 3:06:24 AM Central Standard Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Words are the sea in which we swim,
while  waiting for the common hotel towel.
I claim to be bilingual,
speak both  American and English.
Sometimes it seems true.
I am firm and soft, a  mussel among mussels at high tide.
But other times, when I mingle,
I am  but a waterless fish.

"Look," she said, "pants by Gap, Addidas jacket,  Express tank,
FCUK shirt, shoes by Rita Blank."
My gears slip; the  transmission fails.  "Bra?"
I just wasn't with her so far.

Though  unemployment's at seven percent,
with no worries about rent,
an  acquaintance recently stopped dead,
just failed to go ahead.
He's not  retired, he says, he's "re-charging."
I wonder what he means.
As we talk,  he leans on his new Mercedes coupe, says,
"I was drinking too much of the  company Kool-Aid."
I don't know what money he made,
but he seems to have  the stuff in spades; he'll be in no soup.
I think that even if really he was  laid off,
he's not going back; he's opting for being laid back,
opting to  be permanently free of all who can hack it.

Students told me this week,  "She's being a pris again.
First she was pris, then a goth, now this."
I  weakly asked if what they mean is "being vain?"
No, they explained, a pris is  just a miss who's prissy.

Talking with Stephen's widow about her new hip,  I heard,
"I'm lying around in bed watching 'decorator porn' on  T.V."
"Would that be those makeover shows?"
"That would be those makeover  shows."
I quip about how hip her hip will be.

The guy who rented us  the boat on Friday, for crabbing,
once navigated a bomber, a B52,
not what  they called the "Big Ugly Fat Fellow," but one huge mother of a
plane.
He  worked as a fisherman in Alaska,
then briefly killed people for a  living.
He's now casual, coastal labor, who whiffs of drink.
He used to be  over 'Nam.
He now says he's "over" it.
What makes me mention him
was  how he talked of "gooks,"
which, by way of rhyme, reminded me of  writing,
from a student who summed Exodus' violence thus:
"Moses could  relate to God,
even though he was a little spooky."
As those kooky British  aristocrats would say,
in phrasing that's now outdated, "Well...  quite."

David Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon