[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 00:11:19 -0700

What it is.

At my age, more than half way through the four score and more,
it's wise to cast a weather eye toward posterity.
Knowing that I am at least one polystyrene float short of joining the
mighty, bobbing literati, in their current spritzy waters,
I must trust instead that one day the world will come knapsacking to my
door, trying to track where my thoughts were formed.
So I have begun erecting in my front yard, a modest, eco-friendly, recycled
plastic, souvenir stand, and matching, rainproof ticket booth.
Yesterday I sent away for one of those blue plaques you see on London
buildings --they're backordered, with considerable demand--
and shortly I'll begin canvassing folk to lend a helping hand
with whatever volume of grad student mail eventually comes.
I vow to put aside a bit for literary executors,
and consult the trades for leads on eager biographers.
Where exactly to site the visitors' tea room gives me pause.
My first thought, not wanting to disturb perennial borders,
is to locate it on the garden yacht--
a 1953 Chriscraft which doesn't float--
but in addition to holes in its bottom, the boat,
though it sits directly over the sewer line,
leaves no way, considering the ADA,
for the head to be suitably fine,
to reach for the full five stars,
and less--to me--is no more than a cell phone without bars.
My current proposition instead, is to stand from time to time on the teak,
poop deck, looking something like a writerly freak,
and hope that inspiration's rifle will take me in its sights,
so that famous words, like endless brains, can be splatted on the spot.
Thus the wreck become essential viewing,
meriting, I believe, an extra charge,
which could help pay for paint,
and may even capitalize tables for scones.
My second notion, I don't know, see what my wife thinks,
is to have my photo taken now and again,
out among the Douglas Firs, in the company of naked Twinka--
you know the lady from the famous art poster?--
maybe with extra images going to make up an annual calendar.
We know her sister.
Tea then could be served adjacent to where she and I have been snapped.
The other issue is parking.
I'm largely expecting a very young crowd,
Danes possibly, or Tibetans,
but since there's not space for more than four cars in front of the home,
when we've saved enough, I think we should buy up my neighbors' beds,
for a lot.
It'll not be cheap, but absent interest from the Feds,
my future visitors' needs,
are surely more important ever than cash,
or rhubarb and the ever un-menu-able summer squash.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon