[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:40:32 -0500

One more time Judy, this is what I said:
Comment: My feelings toward Muslim authorities, as opposed to Muslim people, is
the same as toward any religious group.  I said this and you quoted it.

I think prejudice is not even accurate for what I said I believed or felt.
Namely, that I just don't want people to control other people's lives that
don't subscribe to their religion whatever that might be.  I am not prejudging
anyone.  My my judgments are on what they do or say, especially non-members.
And now that I have read Baroness Warsi's own words, she was the one that
called Muslim men throwing eggs at her "idiots."

It's not just Muslims.  Former President Jimmy Carter quit the Southern Baptist
Leadership Conference because of their stance that wives must be submissive to
their husbands.  The Catholic Bishops Conference has intruded itself into the
health care bill debate here to prevent any woman from getting an abortion,
regardless of their religion.  I think this is against the US Constitution, in
as much as it's silent on the issue.  But not silent on government and religion
being separate.

Veronica Caley

          From: Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011, 21:49

          This was sometime on Jan. 20th, between 9 A.M. and 10 A.M., Eastern
Standard Time in US.  I believe the time difference between here and London is
6 hours.

          I think they got their information about the speech from one of the
London papers.  If you care enough which one, look it up.  I personally don't.
Since clearly she released it and expected it to be covered.

          Judy:
          |s it only OK to oppose discrimination and prejudice against members
of a group if all its members accept "Western secular values"?

          It is OK to do what one can to protect oneself from those who would
interfere in one's life for no good reason.  As in the imam I cited who
definitely is not in favor of free speech.  I also believe that when one
immigrates, one ought to do as much as possible to assimilate into the new
culture.  That has not been happening here as with previous waves of
immigrants.  That doesn't mean to take it all as is, but it does mean that one
ought not to expect the new culture to adapt to them.

          Referring to the "Baroness" as "this lady" is perfectly acceptable
here.  Probably because we don't have nobility as such here with titles such as
this.  Sorry if it offended your English sensibilities.

          Comment: My feelings toward Muslim authorities, as opposed to Muslim
people, is the same as toward any religious group.  With one or two exceptions
(Unitarians, Quakers) they tend to be authoritarian and misogynistic.
          And they don't want to control their flock only.  They want to
control  everyone.

          Veronica

                    From: Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011, 14:53

                    The BBC America had a discussion about this lady and her
comments.  The one I liked the best was the man who said that she ought not to
have spoken about anti-Muslim prejudice.  Given her position, she ought to have
spoken out about how one of the causes of prejudice against Muslims is their
refusal to except Western secular values.  His contention, familiar to us all,
that we all accept people making fun of, and disrespecting the religion of,
anyone and everyone.  Muslims generally won't accept this.

                    The performer M&M was to perform in Detroit a few years
ago.  Because of the vulgarity, the city forbid it.  He sued, won and the city
had to pay $300,000 restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate imam  of a
mosque near Detroit was: the show is shameful, the city out to have prohibited
it and no fine ought to have been levied.

                    I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A Muslim."
 Among the things I learned: that people who call the prophet a pedophile do so
because he married a nine year old girl, that he evidently was a bandit who
shared the spoils, and that he was killing Jews or driving them off the land as
early as the seventh century.

                    Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it, two
recommendations: the Christian method is in a film called  "Zorba the Greek."
The Muslim version, in a film made by an Iranian, is called, "The Story of
Soraya M"
                    Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the film.  Also
that you don't eat before doing so.

                    Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that
some Muslims are taking daughters to the home country for circumcision and
early marriage.  I have read about this issue being of concern in the U.S. and
Canada

                    Veronica

                              From: Julie C <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
                              Subject: [lit-ideas] Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)