[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:49:50 -0500

Judy: Yes Waheed Alli is i think great.

My worries about Mr. Alli is for his life,  not for his personal happiness or
political success.

Judy:Keith Ellison and Andre Carson -- both D.

OK, now that I know this, what ought I to do with it?  I know you are a
political scientist and are expert in English and US political science.
However, I know that it makes no  difference to me who they are, but I am glad
that there are at least a handful of Muslims in the Congress, as there are
gays, but otherwise it's useless knowledge.
The reason is that if one writes a letter, calls or used the web to communicate
with them, they will send back a response that they do not deal with people out
of their district.  An exception is if they are thinking of running for
president.  Which is why I never looked up their names, though I knew they were
there.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI
          From: Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011, 21:57

          Judy,

          I read this e-mail after I responded to the other one you sent.  I
think this is interesting and wonderful.  I commend
           Baron Alli (Waheed Alli), for what he has done.  I wish him a long
life.  But I worry for him and all like him.

                    From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011, 15:48

                          I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A
Muslim."  Among the things I learned: that people who call the prophet a
pedophile do so because he married a nine year old girl, that he evidently was
a bandit who shared the spoils, and that he was killing Jews or driving them
off the land as early as the seventh century.

                          did you buy the book?  Wikipedia will tell you about
Muhammad's wives, including, of course, Aisha, as perfectly or imperfectly as
it did.

                          that he evidently was a bandit who shared the spoils
                          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

                          he should have kept the spoils, I guess

                           and that he was killing Jews or driving them off the
land as early as the seventh century.
                          <<<<<<<<<<<<

                          ..gosh, that was early, we waited till the twelfth
century....

                          Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it,
two recommendations: the Christian method is in a film called  "Zorba the
Greek."  The Muslim version, in a film made by an Iranian, is called, "The
Story of Soraya M"
                          Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the film.
Also that you don't eat before doing so.
                          <<<<<<<<<

                          *I* recommend you join the campaigns against stonings
in Iran -- but would like you also to campaign against all capital punishment;
thank you

                          (and FGM.)

                          --- On Fri, 21/1/11, Veronica Caley

                            From: Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                            To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                            Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011, 14:53

                            The BBC America had a discussion about this lady
and her comments.  The one I liked the best was the man who said that she ought
not to have spoken about anti-Muslim prejudice.  Given her position, she ought
to have spoken out about how one of the causes of prejudice against Muslims is
their refusal to except Western secular values.  His contention, familiar to us
all, that we all accept people making fun of, and disrespecting the religion
of, anyone and everyone.  Muslims generally won't accept this.

                            The performer M&M was to perform in Detroit a few
years ago.  Because of the vulgarity, the city forbid it.  He sued, won and the
city had to pay $300,000 restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate imam  of
a mosque near Detroit was: the show is shameful, the city out to have
prohibited it and no fine ought to have been levied.

                            I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A
Muslim."  Among the things I learned: that people who call the prophet a
pedophile do so because he married a nine year old girl, that he evidently was
a bandit who shared the spoils, and that he was killing Jews or driving them
off the land as early as the seventh century.

                            Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen
it, two recommendations: the Christian method is in a film called  "Zorba the
Greek."  The Muslim version, in a film made by an Iranian, is called, "The
Story of Soraya M"
                            Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the
film.  Also that you don't eat before doing so.

                            Currently, there is a concern in Western countries
that some Muslims are taking daughters to the home country for circumcision and
early marriage.  I have read about this issue being of concern in the U.S. and
Canada

                            Veronica

                                From: Julie C <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
                                Subject: [lit-ideas] Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)