[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:19:49 +0000 (GMT)

Oh sorry, I meant, so now you've read Sayeed Warsi's speech you've modified
your views.

Date: Friday, 21 January, 2011,
                    21:49

                    This was sometime on Jan. 20th, between 9 A.M. and 10
                    A.M., Eastern Standard Time in US.  I believe the time
                    difference between here and London is 6 hours.

                    I think they got their information about the speech
                    from one of the London papers.  If you care enough
                    which one, look it up.  I personally don't.  Since
                    clearly she released it and expected it to be covered.

Judy:
|s it only OK to oppose discrimination and
                    prejudice against members of a group if all its members
                    accept "Western secular values"?

It is OK to
                    do what one can to protect oneself from those who would
                    interfere in one's life for no good reason.  As in the
                    imam I cited who definitely is not in favor of free
                    speech.  I also believe that when one immigrates, one
                    ought to do as much as possible to assimilate into the new
                    culture.  That has not been happening here as with
                    previous waves of immigrants.  That doesn't mean to
                    take it all as is, but it does mean that one ought not to
                    expect the new culture to adapt to them.

                    Referring to the "Baroness" as "this lady" is perfectly
                    acceptable here.  Probably because we don't have
                    nobility as such here with titles such as this.  Sorry
                    if it offended your English sensibilities.

                    Comment: My feelings toward Muslim authorities, as
                    opposed to Muslim people, is the same as toward any
                    religious group.  With one or two exceptions
                    (Unitarians, Quakers) they tend to be authoritarian and
                    misogynistic.
                    And they don't want to control their flock only.
                    They want to control  everyone.

                    Veronica

Date: Friday, 21
                              January, 2011, 14:53

                              The BBC America had a discussion about this
                              lady and her comments.  The one I liked the
                              best was the man who said that she ought not to
                              have spoken about anti-Muslim prejudice.
                              Given her position, she ought to have spoken out
                              about how one of the causes of prejudice against
                              Muslims is their refusal to except Western
secular
                              values.  His contention, familiar to us all,
                              that we all accept people making fun of, and
                              disrespecting the religion of, anyone and
                              everyone.  Muslims generally won't accept
                              this.

                              The performer M&M was to perform in
                              Detroit a few years ago.  Because of the
                              vulgarity, the city forbid it.  He sued, won
                              and the city had to pay $300,000
                              restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate
                              imam  of a mosque near Detroit was: the show
                              is shameful, the city out to have prohibited it
                              and no fine ought to have been levied.

                              I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am
                              Not A Muslim."  Among the things I learned:
                              that people who call the prophet a pedophile do
so
                              because he married a nine year old girl, that he
                              evidently was a bandit who shared the spoils, and
                              that he was killing Jews or driving them off the
                              land as early as the seventh century.

                              Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't
                              seen it, two recommendations: the Christian
method
                              is in a film called  "Zorba the Greek."
                              The Muslim version, in a film made by an Iranian,
                              is called, "The Story of Soraya M"
                              Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you
                              see the film.  Also that you don't eat before
                              doing so.

                              Currently, there is a concern in Western
                              countries that some Muslims are taking daughters
                              to the home country for circumcision and early
                              marriage.  I have read about this issue being
                              of concern in the U.S. and Canada

                              Veronica

                                ----- Original
                                Message -----