[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:53:15 -0500

The BBC America had a discussion about this lady and her comments.  The one I
liked the best was the man who said that she ought not to have spoken about
anti-Muslim prejudice.  Given her position, she ought to have spoken out about
how one of the causes of prejudice against Muslims is their refusal to except
Western secular values.  His contention, familiar to us all, that we all accept
people making fun of, and disrespecting the religion of, anyone and everyone.
Muslims generally won't accept this.

The performer M&M was to perform in Detroit a few years ago.  Because of the
vulgarity, the city forbid it.  He sued, won and the city had to pay $300,000
restitution.  The reaction of a very moderate imam  of a mosque near Detroit
was: the show is shameful, the city out to have prohibited it and no fine ought
to have been levied.

I recently finished a book called, "Why I Am Not A Muslim."  Among the things I
learned: that people who call the prophet a pedophile do so because he married
a nine year old girl, that he evidently was a bandit who shared the spoils, and
that he was killing Jews or driving them off the land as early as the seventh
century.

Re Eric's comment on stoning, if you haven't seen it, two recommendations: the
Christian method is in a film called  "Zorba the Greek."  The Muslim version,
in a film made by an Iranian, is called, "The Story of Soraya M"
Zorba is also a book.  I recommend you see the film.  Also that you don't eat
before doing so.

Currently, there is a concern in Western countries that some Muslims are taking
daughters to the home country for circumcision and early marriage.  I have read
about this issue being of concern in the U.S. and Canada

Veronica

          From: Julie C <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: [lit-ideas] Muslim Prejudice (Judy?)
          To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx