[lit-ideas] Re: Mitfordiana

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:12:20 -0600

And, of course, Senor Speranza forgot to mention that the word "Memphis"
meant "City of Good Abode" to the Egyptians of old.  Apparently the
Egyptians of old were very parsimonious with their words.  What images the
word "Memphis" brought to mind in the minds of the Egyptians of old, I for
one, have no idea.  Though it's possible that they too (the Egyptians of
old) may well have been lovers of barbecue or barbeque or BarBcue, if you
so prefer, and that it was the barbecue that made the city of Memphis,
Egypt, a city of good abode.  "The  word 'barbecue' has been spelled
several ways since coming into English from the Spanish *barbacoa *in the
18th century (its earlier origins are fuzzy, though the conventional wisdom
is that the Spanish adapted it from a term used among Caribbean natives).  In
the OED’s historical examples there are *barbecu*, *barbacue*, *barbicu*,
and *abracot*, and today there are several abbreviated forms,
including *bar-b-q
*and just *BBQ*. Despite the many forms, *barbecue* gained clear ascendancy
in the late 19th century, and it has gone unchallenged ever since.  Memphis
is famous for Elvis and barbecue and the Blues  (W. C. Handy, of course,
made famous the Blues with "Memphis Blues" and "The Beale Street Blues."  A
that time it was called "Race Music" -- in fact any music that was written
by, performed by or preferred by Blacks was called Race Music.  That's
always seemed such a bizarre name for anything really.  It must be one of
the earliest attempts to find an alternative for the "N" word.  Rather a
sweet gesture by good white folks to be so considerate of black folks'
feelings, you've got to admit. But of course this is the City of Good
Abode.