[lit-ideas] Re: Mitfordiana

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:50:59 +0000

Poor grice

-----Original Message-----
From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 15 February 2015 16:24
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Mitfordiana

In a message dated 2/15/2015 3:29:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Palma@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Alas Harvard was a person, hence calling Harvard  Harvard university is just
fine and dandy even by the silly gricean maxims.  Padua university is called
padua university exactly because both exists and  padua-city got there way
before the university and its faculties came into  being.

I think Mitford is thinking of specific contexts.

i. Jones went to Padua to study economics.

ii. Jones went to Padua.

iii. Jones graduated from Padua.

I THINK Mitford has in mind examples like (i): "to study economics" would seem
to implicate that it's the university of Padua that is referred to, hence

iv. Jones went to Padua University to study economics.

WOULD violate a Griceian maxim.

With Harvard it seems to work very similarly.

The fact that I believe Harvard was originally referred to as Harvard COLLEGE
(which should also be avoided) rather than UNIVERSITY may be the reason behind
this.

Oxford is slightly different.

Grice went to Corpus Christi.

You don't need to add "College", and even less, "Grice went to Corpus Christi
College, Oxford University". That would violate Griceian maxims _twice_,  and
trigger all the wrong implicatures.

Mitford extend her approach to other places too.

"We're dining at Blenheim Palace" would be non-U as she calls it. The thing
_is_ a palace, not far from Oxford, but

"We're dining at Blenheim."

just does.

Cheers,

Speranza

* Mitford is basing her research not so much on Grice but Ross, of Birmingham.

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest
on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html