[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:54:56 -0500

DS: And as for who "owns" Islam and who gets to depict Muhammad, I can't emphasize strongly enough how little right we have in this. Islam is not for us to do with what we will. We have no right to it.

I believe I have the right to criticize something as vile, stupid, and dangerous if I think it is.

When any of you has anything truly productive to say about Islam, you'll be in a position to think about criticizing it.

Until then, we should shut up?

Isn't condemning the actions of the followers of what amounts to brainwashing the ignorant, productive?

Isn't my right to attain a religion-free world JUST as valid as theirs to attain an infidel-free world?

I would argue that my [imagined] world is infinitely safer. I want to shout down all religions as ridiculous, fearmongering, delusional mindsets. I think I have that right. And if I don't, I should!

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada