[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:53:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- dsavory@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Way to completely miss the point Stan. If you knew
> anything about Islam you'd
> know you don't draw pictures of Muhammad. Period.

Right.  (You certainly don't draw cartoons like that.)

> I suggest we hold off getting all sniffy about
> thin-skinned Muslims are until
> each of us has actually spoken to one...

Yes.  So far I've talked to presumably
non-thin-skinned Muslims about the weather and, er,
the weather... The "thin-skinned" guy who dressed as a
suicide bomber on the London march (against the Danish
Embassy) has apologised to victims of July 7 and their
families and explained that he was doing it because of
the "Mohammed as suicide bomber" cartoon and didn't at
the time think of the offence he would cause, which he
deeply regrets.

I am not about to talk about anything but the weather
(etc.) unless a Muslim person raises The Cartoon
Thing: after 7/7 many Muslims disappeared from the
streets here for fear of attack.  They're back now,
but, well, I can guess how some of them are feeling.

(I have read some very good pieces by Muslim
commentators -- on both sides, as it were.  Tariq
Ramadan was really good -- the one the US won't let
in, so he's hanging out in Oxford.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

Yahoo! Photos ? NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com