[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:05:52 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> If you knew anything about Islam, David, you'd know how methodically they
> educate their children to hate Jews. Carefully, systematically,
> unrelentingly. Interesting to see how sensitive you are to those poor
> thin-skinned Muslims. I'm not! Especially those who've been welcomed into
> Western countries like Denmark. They've seen political cartoons before.
Are
> they the only ones who are to be exempt from criticism?

Stan, when I first posted -- here and on another list -- to the effect that
I thought a couple of these cartoons were offensive, a major response was
that I believed in threatening to kill (pr even in killing) the cartoonists
or the publisher.  I don't think anyone who said that really believed it,
still, they did believe I hadn't defended free speech adequately.

Your response seems to me to be a variant of this tic.  Who, here, has
sought to suggest there are no anti-Jewish cartoons in the Muslim world?
Who, here, is unaware of the hate literature there?   Why should you imagine
for one moment even that we (who regard the cartoons as offensive) think
part of the Muslim response (the response of part of the Muslim world)
should not be criticised?  To think we say or believe that they are both
exempt from criticism and are the only ones exempt from criticism is, well,
strange.