[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:53:10 -0600

--- dsavory@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Way to completely miss the point Stan. If you knew
anything about Islam you'd know you don't draw pictures of Muhammad. Period.

This today is generally true, but it's not the historical truth. Here are links to Persian paintings that have a long, well-respected place in Muslim society, and that do show the Prophet:

http://www.ir-tmca.com/exhibition/negargari/work6.htm

http://www.ir-tmca.com/exhibition/negargari/work12.htm

http://www.superluminal.com/cookbook/gallery_miraj03.html

Notice that the "traditional" way to do this is to have the Prophet's face masked off, though. This is done, in part, I think, to avoid ethnic identification with Mohammed; he doen't look like ANYBODY's third cousin.

The further you go out in Islamic society from its center, the looser the ban was about showing Mohammad's face. Some paintings from Indonesia showed Mohammad's face, and these paintings are not seen as sacreligious.

I'm just interested in making a context for the present violence. Ridicule is the issue, not just that there is an image of Mohammed. Nobody to my knowledge demonstrated outside the museum in Tehran that had a show of these images in 2005.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA