[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 22:29:09 -0500

I doubt it and I think there would be quite the uproar as well.  I'm not
suggesting that the behavior was acceptable.  It was a gross overreaction.  But
it sounds like the other side was sporting for a fight too in the guise of free
speech.  Nobody was acting civilized.  When someone overreacts, it's guaranteed
that there are deep issues going on.  Shame and hostility are not the way to
deal with deep issues.  Wouldn't it have been better, even far better, if the
Muslims were treated with respect, their religion treated with respect?  Then
they would learn what respect is by receiving it and experiencing it, and over
time they would see first hand how deficient their own intolerance is.  We give
what we have.  If they get respect and tolerance, they can give respect and
tolerance.  Instead, they learned that Denmark is filled with hostile people.
What do you do when you experience hostility?  You hunker down and get hostile.
 Denmark flew its colors as no better than anybody
  else, including the Muslims.

Date:2/8/06 8:58:06 P.M. Central Standard Time
From:writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

J.E. Who, here, has sought to suggest there are no anti-Jewish cartoons in
the Muslim world?
Who, here, is unaware of the hate literature there?   Why should you imagine
for one moment even that we (who regard the cartoons as offensive) think
part of the Muslim response (the response of part of the Muslim world)
should not be criticised?  To think we say or believe that they are both
exempt from criticism and are the only ones exempt from criticism is, well,
strange.

S.S. When David Savory  tells us: If you knew anything about Islam
you'd know you don't draw pictures of Muhammad. Period.-- then I guess I'm
strange to take offense. I'm strange when I'm asked to be sensitive to
muslim feelings when they're free to draw disgusting pictures of Jews.
David's self-righteousness about muslim sensitivities leaves me pretty
disgusted. This whole discussion shows too much sensitivity to Muslims (and
insensitivity to Jews.) That you have some hidden awareness of the hatred
they show -- and feel justified in showing again and again -- is irrelevant.
We're not talking about "hate literature." We're talking about education.
The systematic education of muslim children. That's different from hate
literature, Judy.

The muslim point of view is so toxic (and uncompromisingly dangerous) there
are virtually no Jews that live in the 22 Arab nations that surround and
hope to annihilate Israel.

And we should be sensitive to Muslims who move to Denmark and other Western
societies? Why are they living there instead of in Syria and Saudi Arabia,
in Lebanon and Kuwait? They moved there predictably because there's more
hope and promise of a better life. In exchange for that better life, they
needed to learn the values of an open society. That included freedom of
speech.

If you read the interconnected articles attached to those cartoons, you'd
know that muslims in Denmark expected the govt to apologize to them. Denmark
refused! That wouldn't have happened in England or America, I think. Their
refusal to apologize underlined the value of freedom of speech. That
newspaper had
the right to criticize muslims (which the cartoons of Muhammed reflected.)
It needed to be said out loud.

Have you noticed how many newspapers in America have shown those cartoons?
(None) Until I showed them, how many of you even knew what they looked like?
That the uproar muslims created intimidated American newspapers into silence
(not showing the cartoons is silence) is troubling. Are we to treat Muslims
in Western societies different from any other ethnic (not religious) group
in order to avoid bloodshed?

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME