[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:43:09 -0800

Irene,

The short version of Israeli history:  The Jews always lived in Palestine.
It wasn't called Israel back then, but there were Jews living there as well
as Arabs.  The treaty with Britain gave the Jews the right to live where
they were already living.  You must be confused by the fact that during and
after WWII, many additional Jews fled to Israel.  Your statement to the
effect that they ought to "know what they were getting into, is rather
insensitive Irene.  I'd be offended if I were a Jew.  They were fleeing
Europeans bent upon killing them and joining like minded people in a land
they were legally entitled to live in.

When Britain left the area, they were pretty sloppy about it. They told the
Jews they could have the area per treaty if they could manage to keep it.
The Arabs tried to toss them out.  Large numbers of Arabs fled during that
initial 1949 war.  Arabs tried several more times to toss them out and
failed.  Israel is a tremendous affront to the Arab world because they
refuse to die.

Lawrence