[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:58:24 -0500

Just last week I was recounting in class a story from my earliest days in Canada. We left Chicago in May of 1968 (between the MLK assassination riots there and the assassination of Bobby Kennedy). Meeting lots of new people, we were often asked questions about how things could be so bad for blacks in the U.S.. Didn't whites understand how stupid and hurtful and unfair their prejudice was? In one particular case, we answered with a comment about Canadian treatment of Indians. The immediate answer: That's different; they're a bunch of lazy drunks.

Unobtainium...in short supply, indeed.

Ursula
Canadian for 42 years...

On 02/12/2010 4:43 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I was (like many Western Canadian whites) brought up in a schizophrenic society that was universal in both its condemnation of white Americans for their treatment of Afro-Americans and its appalling attitudes towards the Native Canadians living in or on the outskirts of its own neighbourhoods.

Unobtainium - the substance from which genuine understanding, toleration and mutual respect among peoples is forged?