[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:14:51 -0600

What is the genesis of this conversation?  Who in the world takes the notion
of the "Noble Savage" seriously?  Human beings are human beings,
self-interest is the primary motivating force in our lives.  That's why we
have government.  Of course, self-interest can manifest itself in noble,
generous, selfless ways,  witness Jesus, Siddhartha, Gandhi, King,  and
untold billions throughout history who acted for the common good even if it
was not in their immediate self-interest, but in the long-run they believed
it to be in their self-interest as a human being.  And actions of
self-interest can seem contradictory such as poor whites voting Republican,
but in fact, they perceive their primary self-interest in believing that
they are superior to other races and vote for those who claim to support
that belief.  "Noble Savage"  Who but Rousseau believed that?  We are noble
when it's in our self-interest, we are savage when it's in our
self-interest.  Knowing what's truly in our self-interest is the problem.

Mike Geary
interested only in myself