[lit-ideas] Unobtainium

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:20:41 -0500

If we are to discuss this rare element, would there be a way to avoid mentioning the words "Habermas" and "discourse"?

The issue vexes me. When I was a callow "yout" (as they say in Brooklyn where I wasn't born) it seemed that "unobtainium" was everywhere. Unobtainium in every house, garage, apartment, and storage unit in the world. Unobtainium coming out of our ears.

OK, I assumed, universal unobtainium. Problem solved. Let's move on to the next problem. Unlimited universal education and space colonization seemed next on the to-do list.

Decades later, still discussing the unobtainium shortage. In fact, a cultural milieu where unobtainium-shortage is used to evaluate almost every form of art, philosophy, and political theory.

Great Jupiter's Nose! Whatever happened to moving on to the next problem? Anyone else have this disappointed feeling--that things settled decades ago are repeating endlessly?