[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 03:31:07 -0500

>>Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief

Noble savage, yadda-yadda, noble savage.

He was shot by Americans -- more influenced by Locke and Scottish realism than by Rousseau -- while he was fighting on the British side at the Battle of Thames.

He tried to kill the Americans. Instead they killed him. Noble savage, yadda-yadda, noble savage.

>>wholeness, respect and harmony

I'm going to really go out on a limb here and assert that "wholeness, respect and harmony" is a good thing. To really speculate, I'll assert that many people think it is a good thing.

>>"together we will win our country back from the whites"

He was wrong. They didn't. He's with the Etruscans and the Carthaginians and the Druids -- all objects of romantic imaginings. All extinct as warring nations. Noble savage, yadda-yadda, noble savage.

Nations rise and fall, but Tecumseh will remain deader than a boiled mackerel.