[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 03:52:13 -0500

On 12/3/2010 2:55 AM, Omar Kusturica wrote:
the Postmodernists have linked pretty much all of the Enlightenment thought to
totalitarianism. (Not necessarily rightly, but that wasn't the point.)

My hunch is that we are still inside the Enlightenment and all these phases--from Romanticism to Postcolonialism--are merely iterations of the Enlightenment. The Romantic turn, as in Rousseau, could be the Enlightenment's experiment with rejecting itself, just as Postcolonial thought is the Enlightenment's dispersal beyond the West for a better look at itself.

As for philosophers not linked to totalitarianism, let me suggest--and also look to the pros on the List for correction--some likely candidates:

Pythagoras, Aristotle, Epicurus, Cicero (for his De Legibus), Plotinus, Augustine, Spinoza, Pierre Bayle, Voltaire, Adam Smith, Hume, Schopenhauer, J.S. Mill, Frege, Brentano, Pierce, Husserl, Whitehead, Camus, Wittgenstein, and Arendt.