[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:22:52 -0700

>It would, of course, first have to pass a Congress

ck:  Which makes this hypothetical sound like a marvelous project for the
UN--especially considering the dearth of physicians in the US, as Judy
pointed out.

John makes a few good points here as well. I heard of pre-preparedness from
a marine MD, one of those first responders. It's essentially how the US
military uses a medical base in Germany, for the war wounded from Iraq. (Fly
to Germany, stabilize, then fly for treatment at Bethesda.)

But ships are slow, as John said. Even with pre-preparedness, ships would
serve a population near the oceans only--which severely truncates the
usefulness of huge ships in the vast land we call the US. Also, they'd be
excellent targets, particular if they're US-only. However, combined with a
system of air power and medvacs, to reach people inland, even in difficult
terrain, the idea seems possibly very good, as an expansion of Doctors
Without Borders.

Why, Eric, do you think this should be a US project? Want Halliburton to run
it? Not that the UN is a paragon of efficiency, but our government would
subcontract the whole project to you know who.

I think a serious first step would be for the US to position a hospital ship
off the gulf shore, in hurricane season (like, now). Another Katrina is
unlikely, simply because New Orleans no longer exists as it once did. But
hurricane evacuations in Florida are run-of-the-mill catastrophes that could
test a small version of this system.

Ok, Eric. You've got my vote, with qualifications.

Carol