[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:22:09 -0400

ck: When you talk about new immigrants "bringing in" illnesses, unless racism is your guiding light, you're talking about diseases that thrive in poverty and
close quarters, where there's little or no medical care.

Eric: Immigrants do bring in illnesses, and there is also a resurgence of poverty illnesses in the US, but that wasn't my point. It may be yours, but it wasn't mine.

Formerly rare tropical diseases are moving into the US, and given our immigration policies, have easy entry. Assuming this easy entry is a given, it behooves us to have physicians who are trained in treating these illnesses BEFORE they become widespread here.

Hospital ships working in countries that commonly have Chagas, for example, will produce doctors better capable of treating it here. What's wrong with that?