[lit-ideas] islam 'r us

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:57:34 -0700 (PDT)

  As new member of this list a question is on my mind. If the Christian and
philosophical underpinnings of the west are built upon the thoughts of
Aristotle, and these thoughts were preserved by Islamic scholars while Europe
was wallowing in the Platonic Dark Ages, why this disengagement by westerners
from recognizing Islam as a major contributor to what the west has become?
Rather than comparing the US to Rome would it not be more helpful to compare it
to Islam? After all Islam is a scientific, philosophical, religious and warrior
empire that survived, not to mention that it is an empire that cannot be
defined geographically not unlike the spread of unrestrained global capitalism.
It may be that the west?s thought processes run along the same lines as Islam
but denial is a strong force.

  J.S.
  The one thing we lack is a handy utopia.