[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:13:05 +0100

Eric,

I'd crew on that ship, though I'd like to see the ownership documents, maybe the nationailty of the other crew, and perhaps a few more ships sailing alongside.

1. This is exactly the kind of response the US should be undertaking in order to 'soften' the effects of its more pro-active activities. There are, as you point out, obvious benefits for the US (or whoever owns the boats), but there are also benefits for those in the world who need it most. Providing the destinations are specified on the basis of need rather than (US) interest, then critics (like myself) would have a hard time finding fault.

2. The remit should be expanded to move beyond just the medical provision. (Some won't like this.) I'd like to see a UN rapid reaction force to include troops as well as recovery resources. UN members would provide personnel in accordance with their current financial provision to the UN (or perhaps in accordance with the size of their current armed forces). The unit would fall under the UN or a department of it and would be sent to military/disaster hotspots in accordance with UN resolutions if required.

Only a couple of points, but feedback none the less.

Regards

Simon
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>