[lit-ideas] Re: Sustaining our Resolve

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 01:15:48 -0700

My point which you are evading is that we are in a war against Militant
Islam and Schultz has offered his opinions about what we ought to do.  That
is the point of the article.  You want to change it to a Leftist-quibble in
order to keep on moving on to blame America in some way, finding some way to
blame America instead of Militant Islam.  We are at war but what you want to
talk about is a history of America's sins seen through a Leftist magnifying
glass.  I'm sure Chomsky would agree with everything you've said.  As for
me, I don't find it all that interesting because I keep coming back to the
Main Point which is that we have a real war and a real enemy.  Who does it
do good to keep on blaming America?  Well it does the Militant Islamists
good and it apparently warms the cockles of the Leftist heart.

What an evil thing to oppose the USSR you suggest.  I assume you think that,
for you have no blame left over for the USSR, only America gets blamed.  You
imply that we created terrorism and Islamism; when what we did was use the
anti-USSR opposition at hand.  I can assure you that they didn't need the
CIA to teach them how to do terrorism or assassination.  Read Bernard Lewis
book The Assassins:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465004989/sr=1-6/qid=1155973990/ref=sr_1_6
/103-3867507-5345466?ie=UTF8
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465004989/sr=1-6/qid=1155973990/ref=sr_1_
6/103-3867507-5345466?ie=UTF8&s=books> &s=books .

Yes, I read about the Afghan war against the USSR at a time when the
information closest to real-time came from Soldier of Fortune magazine.   No
other publication was reporting on events on the ground over there.  It
didn't cause the slightest problem for me.  I don't recall any of the
hate-America narrations that you found.  SOF reported soldiers helping
Muslims fight against the oppressing USSR.  I guess it all depends on your
point of view.  Did you want to fight the USSR or did you want to fight the
US.  I was apparently not as conflicted as you.  Yeah I say it was good for
us to win the Cold War, and it will be good for us to win this war against
Militant Islam.  I root for our side.  I want us to win.  I want Militant
Islam to lose, but that's just me.

By the way, I didn't think the note you seemingly refer to below was too
terribly long but you seem not to have read the whole thing.  Brzezinski
argued in 1998 (but why am I telling you this when you probably won't read
this far -- again) that there was no globalized Islam; so you could not
possibly have been aware of this while it was happening.  I didn't read
Ghost Wars, but I've read books that cover the same information according to
the reviews.

Lawrence