[lit-ideas] Re: A Possibly Very Good Idea

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:47:17 +0100

> Residents get paid next to nothing--when my wife was in such a
program,
> she got about twenty thousand a year for fifty two weeks at
more than a
> hundred hours per week.

I see.  The most junior house officer post here pays £20, 000 for
a year (I think, 40 days
holiday entitlement), 56 hours a week max.  It's more than £5000
more
in the second year, and continues to rise.  There are supplements
of 20-80%
based on the number of hours worked pw in excess of 40, intensity
of work,
and unsocial hours work, the usual supplement's 50%.

>But, yes, there would be a cost.

and I can't see the US paying it (nor can I see the AMA being all
that ready to
endorse the scheme)