[lit-ideas] Re: surrealism

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:08:50 -0700

Paul: Did you read my review of this movie last week?

ck: I read it. Decided not to comment, though, because your review, although
sympathetic to the film as catharsis, didn't pry open my closed mind. (I was
curious enough to read a couple of reviews, yes.) Still, it's too soon, imo.
Poor taste, regardless of how tastefully it's done.

Personally, I don't feel the need for "closure." Indeed, I question the concept
of closure, which has become a commonplace. I strive not to pick scabs so that
the resulting wound becomes more problematical than the original
trauma--classic PTSD.

Many of us, thousands of miles away from the site, experienced an outsized
reaction to that event--not to belittle the event itself, nor the shock, felt
worldwide. Yet the way our media played us was heinous, and gave the terrorists
more coverage and renown than they'd ever dreamed. Shameful. Oliver Stone seems
to have made something like art out of the event, according to Paul, but so did
thousands of NYC school kids who expressed their wild feelings in drawings,
soon after. And ex-pat NYers, like me, who were moved to put the towers in
their own works, over and over. We each heal as best we can.

But the WTC remains a huge cemetery of a hole in Manhattan. That fact, five
years later, is more potent a statement than anything Oliver Stone might have
fashioned.

Carol