[lit-ideas] Re: surrealism

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:37:36 -0400

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 8/19/2006 9:30:21 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: surrealism

Comedy is not always demeaning.  Laughter is good.  To hear (read) you say that
comedy depresses you is ......interesting.

A.A. Lousy comedy depresses me.  Most comedy is lousy.  Good comedy is
wonderful, it's also not very plentiful.  I like good comedy, just can't find
that much of it.

J.K.  I like Chicago because a) the music is great; b) the dancing is great; c)
Gere was quite a surprise and d) "Cellophane" is my favourite part of it.  I
run it over and over sometimes.

A.A. I like Chicago too, very much, for the same reasons.  It's the only movie
I own, but I never watch it.

Saw A Bug's Life.  It was okay, heavy duty cute.  Not Antz at all.  I sorely
missed Woody Allen's NYC neurotic humor.  But, I think it was basically a
formula movie.  Take the same plot, put humans in it, and it would be a run of
the mill movie.  Recently most G rated movies have a fair amount of sexual
innuendos.  This one didn't.  Even so, the sight gags would go over most kids'
heads.  It did occur to me, though, that the plot revolved around the basic
human hatred of occupation and domination, cutely done, of course.  It was made
in 1998.