[klaatumail] Re: Formats, availability, etc

  • From: "Gary Sauer" <gsauer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:31:38 -0500

Back in the day, I only had a few 8-tracks.  Though it was a novelty at
first, the breaks in the middle of songs became unacceptable to me and I
replaced all but the Saturday Night Live album I had with vinyl.  Once I
heard Leftoverture on vinyl, it was like hearing a couple of the songs for
the first time because of the missing middle.

When CDs were first introduced, the big selling point was that they would
never deteriorate or wear out (which of course turned out to be false).
Also, since every turntable seemed to turn at a different speed (mine were
always fast), the songs sounded clearer and more consistent to me on CD.  I
ran out and bought the entire catalogs of my favorite bands, Genesis, Rush,
Yes, Led Zeppelin on CD as soon as I could.  Had I known they would
re-release everything six more times...

I gave my vinyl away after either repurchasing or transferring everything to
homemade CDs.  Some of the albums I had on vinyl will probably never be
available on CD (John Paul Jones - Soundtrack from the film 'Scream For
Help').  Some have been released on CD but were deemed unacceptable (Jon
Anderson - Animation).  Although that irks me a bit, I'll live.

I understand the OCD collector thing, but I wasn't one of the people that
left the plastic on their vinyl covers and took museum curator care of them.
I did enjoy holding and reading the vinyl album covers, but that was when I
was 17, lying in bed listening through headphones.  Most of my music
listening is either at work or in the car, two places where reading liner
notes is either impossible or discouraged.

Actually, something I miss the most now is knowing the names of songs.  Now
they are all numbers, especially in the car.  At least at work I can peek at
the player and get the song name.  But, the tradeoff is now I can have my
entire music collection on a hard drive and can hit a button and have random
songs come up for listening.  It makes the day much more interesting to go
from Klaatu to Guns n' Roses to Neil Diamond to Three Dog Night to System of
a Down.