[klaatumail] Re: Formats, availability, etc

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:50:28 -0500

> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:14:34 Dan wrote:
>
>and I've gone so far as to make CDs from vinyl in some cases when I ever have
>the time.

I'm doing this as I sell off my collection. As a Canadian, I'm stuck in an
annoyingly unique situation where 90% of my collection has never been, and will
never be, available on CD. I've been making K-Tel styled compilations of 1960s
thru 1980s CanCon discs of music that's never seen the light of day on disc. I
have a batch to send to Mr. Bradley shortly as he is a big fan of this material
! And would do the same for anyone else willing to cover the cost of supplies
and postage.

And as an addendum to Marc T.'s comment about obtaining music that the
copyright owners have failed to release in a purchasable format, I couldn't
agree more (and this coming from a guy who has spent a decade licensing the
copyrights for re-issue). The stonewalling and foot dragging by the major
labels has led to a situation that, sadly, will only get worse as the purchase
of music becomes even more isolated and niche oriented.

My mission with Bullseye was to at least move these treasures into a new format
for posterity. The labels have pretty much sealed the vaults until they decide
to eventually digitize them or (my fear) that they go bankrupt.

There is so much great stuff for people to hear -- luckily, I got the Terry
McManus stuff out. I hope to do more. Until then, I'm sitting on fully
transferred catalogues of acts like Ian Thomas, Gowan, Chilliwack, Streetheart,
Trooper and others.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234