[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: jess hampshire <jesshampshire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:53:24 +0000

On 19 March 2010 11:14, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/03/2010 10:24, jess hampshire wrote:

>> There is at least one application that would make use of a revamped
>> filing system (although in this case it is the 2GB file limit, rather
>> than maximum disk capacity)
>
> Well that's an even worse problem. We could either extend FileCore format,
> or even replace it with an entirely different low level format and gain
> access to terrabyte discs with absolutely no changes to existing software,
> they would continue to use the same FileSwitch APIs and be none the wiser.
> (Even the free space command is 64bit).
>
> If however we lift the 2GB limit, we have to take the huge step of
> implementing an entire new filing system stack and along with a new API, and
> only software re-written to use it will benefit from it. Such software would
> be image filing systems (FAT32FS already catering for the most popular) and
> DVD writing software for the handful of users with DVD writers. The vast
> majority of RISC OS software will never be updated, and will never be able
> to handle >2GB files, even if sensible to do so.

If a new API were defined in advance, wouldn't it be possible to do a
longnames style hack? (In the short term at least).

i.e. have a module that implements the new api by mapping it to the
old one and chopping files that are too big into 2GB chunks. (when a
filesystem doesn't support it)

Anything that uses the new api would see big files, anything that
didn't would see a directory with 2GB files in

>> I would have bought DVDBurn by now if I could (easily) exchange full
>> size DVD isos with other platforms.
>
> DVDBurn can write full sized DVDs by using multiple files, why is there a
> need to exchange the ISOs themselves? Anything downloaded from the internet
> wont be RISC OS specific data, so burn them using another platform.

That's what I have to do. With CDROM isos I use RISC OS, because it's
nicer. I would like to do the same with DVDs.

>> Usually the problem for RISC OS users is lack of software or
>> underpowered hardware or both. In this case, the software and hardware
>> are fine,but RISC OS filesystem is the showstopper.

> But again, such a change would entail an enormously disproportionate amount
> of OS work to solve a problem affecting a small number of users.

Doing it properly would, but would the the intermediate system I described be?

Is it a small number of users? Or is it a case of something else you
need a PC for?

It is a shame, because CD burning is one of the things that RISC OS is good at.
it is only the filesystem limits that mess it up for DVDs (and
probably blurays too)

> The real need for >2GB files has been alleviated by the creation of FAT32FS.
> Work like that is a far better use of the very limited development resources
> still left on this platform.

Of course what happens when the Fat32 system has a 4GB file on it?

(Although should this subject be on this list?)

--
Jess Hampshire
          mailto:jesshampshire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please reply inline and trim redundant text - I also use mobile email.