[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:12:59 +0000

On 09/02/2010 15:46, Roger Darlington wrote:
On 9 Feb 2010, David J. Ruck wrote:
On 09/02/2010 00:10, Ron wrote:
Seems the next logical step would be a PCI SATA card.

I don't think it's worth the effort.

Get a NAS box, that will offer you storage of 1TB or over, RAID1 for
reliability, backup facilities, sharing with other computers on the
network, and even streaming of audio and video to your TV on some of them.

But far slower too, surely?

We wouldn't get 32MB/s, more like what we get now over Ethernet, which
is maybe 4MB/s?

True, but say you have a 4MB JPEG, it takes the Iyonix around 4 seconds to display it, and pulling it down from the network would only be another second. If you do need faster access, you copy files down on to your local disc first.

It would work out far cheaper than finding a suitable card and trying to
write a driver for it before they were no longer available.

That is probably true, but surely extra speed is worth extra money?

It's not about money, there has to be a compelling reason for someone to write the driver for both an ATA card and a more suitable large filing system. We already have both a reasonably quick (compared to the processing speed) local storage and access to huge external NAS storage. The number of people that need both fast and vast local storage on a machine which isn't fast enough to much with the data is quite small.

If an Iyonix2 with faster processor was viable, then SATA storage would be the local option, but as an add on to the Iyonix 1, it makes little sense.

Cheers
---David

--
David J. Ruck