[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: "Steffen Huber" <steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:30:47 +0100 (MET)

> I was just wondering if the filecore limit of 256GB is on the list to
> be extended. Or whether perhaps it is being worked upon already?
>
> [I know it is difficult to fix, I have read earlier reports about
> this].

A few random thoughts about  this topic (and a few related ones).

Writing a driver for one of the IDE and S-ATA PCI cards would
certainly be possible. Driver source code is readily available.
There are even combo cards around which have the same
NEC USB chipset that the current IYONIX card, so you wouldn't
even lose a PCI slot.

This would be the "high performance option", allowing a full
256 GB filecore disc accessed via UDMA.

Adding partitioning to ADFS (and SCSIFS) would be the
next logical step to allow usage of larger drives without
having to work on Filecore itself.

An extended FileSwitch to allow files larger 2 GB would also
be a good idea.

While we're at it, we should really restructure the whole
filing system stack. Instead of implementing the hardware
driver code into Filecore clients, it would be a lot better to
have a true device manager that does the low level access
and provides a simple, unified lba-like access to clients
(which could of course be Filecore clients again!). As a first
step, we could even use a slightly extended SCSISwitcher
for this.

This would open up the possibility of easier porting of
open source filing systems to use as a filecore replacement
for really big discs (and the coming large-sector-size discs),
as well as finally handling foreign filing systems in
a sensible way.

Who could do it? No idea. It would probably need a minor
miracle to happen. There are very few miracles happening
in RISC OS land - in fact I only remember two, a working
port of RISC OS on the BeagleBoard and PDF import for
ArtWorks.

Steffen