[iyonix-support] Re: File-core limit of 256GB - is it on the list?

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:09:59 +0100

<4B718C45.8000007@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Naulls  wrote:

> rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> The real problem with using NAS for backup is filing system
>> incompatibilities between RISC OS and Linux.
>>
>> Among others, filenames starting with /, file names containing >, and
>> file names ending ,xxx can cause backup jobs to abort.

> This is a failure with LanMan98, etc, not RISC OS in general.  I think
> this has already been pointed out several times.  More here:

> http://www.riscos.info/index.php/RISC_OS_Filename_Translation

Thanks - a useful article. I have a better understanding of the
possible problems and solutions having read it.

> There's no reason this couldn't be done robustly, and indeed is
> in for example. SunFish.

Unfortunately the NAS box (LinkSys NSLU2) runs SMB not NFS and the
mounts are therefore not visible to SunFish.

The SLU2 as delivered does not have a command interface.
Installing applications requires fairly serious hacking.

John

--
Midland User Group - http://mug.riscos.org
RISC OS the platform that puts the arch into anarchic;-(  "Anarchy